The Adventures of Beekle : The Unimaginary Friend - Dan Santat (2014)

               Caldecott Winner - 2015

     What comes before imagination? All we know is, imagination comes first in mind and then people work on them. But, the author and illustrator, San Dantat has this special imagination, where "imaginations" are waiting for someone to be imagined.

Yet-to-be-befriended


       He is a not-yet-imagined creature (not-yet named too), born in a faraway island, where all imaginary friends of  every "Earthling" kid is born. Day after day, he waits under stars, waiting for a kid to imagine him, along with his fellow island-mates. But his turn doesn't come yet.

       Not able to wait more, he does the unthinkable. He sails to the real world, facing many dangers. Does the real world welcome him? Does he meet a kid, who imagined him? When is he going to be named "Beekle"?

         

My Comments:


      Kids have fantastic imagination. And, there are books that synchronize with their imagination. But this book is special as it is told from the view of the imagination, itself. A year after, winning Caldecott, the imaginations in the book are still fresh and pleasant (Of course, children's books never get aged. They always have a fresh vibe).

       This book have 40 full pages of reasons on why it won a Caldecott, plus it's endpapers and covers. The way the illustrations change tone from bright to dark, along with the emotions of the story is brilliant. Another crown of the book is the lovely illustration of 'Beekle' with crown (My kids called him "Marshmallow man").

       This story starts in a place, before imagination starts. What comes before imagination? How imagination and reality matches? Do all imaginations have a backtrack? There is no limit to the amount of meanings, you can decipher from this book, as an adult. But, universally, every kid would love to read this book (And, well, imagine more).

     

     
     Good Books cannot be confined to one single blog. That's why I keep them here too. Click and follow:



8 comments:

  1. What a unique concept for a book! Promoting imagination from the imagination's perspective sounds like a fun and wild ride. We would love for you to link up this post with us at the Literacy Musing Mondays Linkup #LMMLinkup http://www.foreverjoyful.net/?p=846

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and the invite for linkup. I shared this post now.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for joining us at the #LMMLinkup. I hope you will come back often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will. It's a wonderful place to read more. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I found you through the Literacy Musings Monday Linkup!
    I read this wonderful picture book to my daughter last year and absolutely adored it! The illustrations are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The illustrations are indeed amazing.

      Delete
  4. My kids and I have not read this one yet, definitely will have to change that. I'm visiting today from #LMMlinkup. I tried to click your social media icons on your right side bar and they don't work. Just thought I would let you know. I think I'm following on most social media platforms. Have a great day Ambika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stating this problem. Now I have corrected this. Looks like, I left a '#' in the 'map' code. As, this problem occurred only in Internet Explorer, I didn't notice it (I use Chrome a lot). Thanks again, as I set it right now. I am sure, you will enjoy this book.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me